Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's Topper Time on Technique Tuesday!

Hello everyone, I'm here to share with you my first ever tutorial. (Be gentle with me, I'm already nervous about never having done a tutorial before)

Since we are featuring Halloween images this month at Shelly's Images, I thought it would be great to do a Halloween favor tutorial.





Aren't these just too cute?! They are very quick and simple to do, and would be great favors for the kiddies to take to school for Halloween favors.


Supplies You will need:

Digi Images from Shelly's Images
markers, Chalks or another coloring medium
Paper Cutter
Exacto Knife
Pencils or dowels
*If using dowels, you will need to cut them to the desired length for your project.

Instructions:

1. Color your digi images.

2. Cut digi images into 3" blocks, or whatever size is appropriate for the image.

3. At the top of each image block, use exacto knife to cut a slit, (about 5/8" down from the top edge)
horizantally across the center of the image. The slit should be approximately 1 1/2" across.

4. Now, do the same cut, about 5/8" up from the bottom edge. Again, your cut should be horizontally,
approximately 1 1/2" across

*Note: You may need to alter the size of your cuts, depending on what is proportionate to the size of your image

5. Slide your pencil or dowel rod through the two slits your image, and there you have your pencil/dowel topper.
(You may slide your pencil in under or over the tab, depending on which looks best with your images. I have
done both ways, in the pic above, based on how I felt the image looked best.)


These would also be great made with dowel rods and then stuck into a ball of styrofoam in a cute bucket or pot, to make table centerpieces.



I'd love to see what other creative projects you come up with, using the toppers

9 comments:

  1. What a fabulous tutorial you made. So clear and easy to follow. Love the end result! You rock girl.
    Fantastic first time!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are SO cute! My youngest daughter is in 6th grade and I know she would love to hand these out to her friends.

    Great work Sammi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is awesome!! I may have to make a few of these for my nephew - I know he'd love them!!!

    Great first time Sammi!
    Hugs!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Sammi on your first tutorial! These look so cute, and it's a good thing I read everything first before commenting. I was so ready to say something about the pencil on the right going through the wrong way (or not) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh....in case you didn't notice the two images used on the middle and far right pencil are from Kidz Korner. So those images are free at www.shellysimages.com. Good work Taylor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute cute cute and what fun for the kids to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well you certainly did that tutorial way better than i ever could..... and it's fabulous! i love the toppers!

    hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone! I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the ghost image and the trick or treat bag image are freebies from the Kidz Korner here at Shelly's Images.

    ReplyDelete